Dramatis Personae

Dramatis Personae:

Keith, or Bear, a 61 year old male

Jody, or Beaver, a 57 year old crippled female

Bloodroot, or Goat, our 27 year old son

Bird, our collapsible manual wheelchair

Tinky-Winky, my walker

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Monday, February 17, 2014 – Nerd Heaven

We pack up and are out the door by 9AM.  Our first stop – Whole Foods.  Pearl has been getting louder and louder, courtesy of the numerous scrapes to her exhaust system.  She rides low, burdened by her hat, a 300-pound wheelchair, and the BraunAbility cripple conversion’s removal of reliable shock absorbers.  We are, unfortunately, victims of BraunAbility’s incompetent engineering, this being only the first issue we will have. For $27,000, BraunAbility didn't install heavy duty shocks.  I feel so ripped off. 

Keith crawls under Pearl as it gets real in the Whole Foods parking lot (Fog & Smog-Whole Foods Parking Lot).  A gentleman walks by, observes me watching Keith under Pearl, and this being the South, asks accusingly, “What did you do?” “Nothing! Nothing!  I swear!” I reply.  We both laugh.  Keith surfaces after praying to the automotive gods, as men are wont to do.  The gods don’t deign to answer us.  Pearl will just be loud.

Entering the store, we find Whole Food’s vegetable prices as irritating as ever; Keith will make no food commitments, and Bloodroot tries to be funny.  I boil over with frustration.  At long last, we collect enough food for a few days, spending $150.  I cringe, then realize that we spent $160 last night on utter crap.  Whole Foods at least sells real food.  We exit the store sans divorce, restraining orders or police involvement; a successful shopping trip overall.

Last night, Minnie asked us to stop by this morning to say goodbye to her on our way out of town.   She has freshly doused herself in a truly amazing amount of her headache-inducing perfume.  She wants to be pretty, and has dressed up for us.  I laud her efforts, understanding that she considers us important visitors and wishes to honor us.  During the two-minute ride to the drug store, Minnie’s perfume soaks into Pearl’s front passenger seat, where its fumey fingers will rise up to torture me for days.  Did I ask her not to wear perfume again?  No.  Do I have anyone to blame but myself?  No. We pick up her prescriptions and take her back to her apartment. We drive off heavy-hearted, wishing we could do more for her.

After dropping Minnie off, we drive out to the NASA Johnson Space Center, nerd heaven if there ever was one.  We buy our tickets.  A burly guard confronts us as we enter.  “Do you have any weapons?  Any mace?  Any pocket knives?” “No,” I answer, “we’re mellow Colorado hippies, made even mellower since we voted to legalize pot.” The big man laughs in a way that makes us think he has no moral qualms about smoking a bowl or two and waves us through.  “Mom,” says Bloodroot sotto voce, “you’re going to get us arrested.”

Years ago, as a child, I recall vacationing in Florida with my natal family.  As a budding scientist, I bubbled over with excitement.  I would be joining the Space Age at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral. I would see the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo rockets!  My family cruelly crushed my effusive, enthusiastic fantasy by insisting upon visiting Disneyworld instead.  How could they possibly prefer tacky, expensive, fake kitsch to something really cool like rockets?  Reality splashed across my consciousness, her chilly fingers gripped my face, forcing me to see what I had so long denied. Deeming the moment ripe for confrontation, I faced my parents to deliver my familial coup de grace.  “You adopted me, didn't you?  You can tell me; I can take it.”  My parents, reasonably affronted, swore otherwise.  After some words, I admitted to being the spitting image of my father. Off to Disney we went, me pouting the entire way.  I still abhor Disneyworld.

With the current family, Disney isn't even on the map.  YES!!  We begin our tour of the Space Center with a tram ride.  Sven motors up the steep ramp just to prove that he can.  Manly men strap him into place at the front of the tram.  He’s excited too.  As a piece of technology himself, Sven looks forward to seeing the history of his kind.  By allowing me to choose my own fate, Sven has made our trip so much easier.  We are grateful. Thank you, Sven!

First tram stop - Apollo Mission Control.   The Space Center has restored all of its old desks and green screen monitors.  Remember the excitement of watching this on TV in the 1960s?  How many of us set our sights on science careers at that moment?  I sure did.  Coding software line by line on a truly primitive mainframe, NASA engineers guided the Apollo spacecraft to the moon.[1] NASA hired people straight out of college for the moon shot, believing the fresh graduates wouldn't have internalized the impossibility of their task.  Ascending the 67 steps up to Mission Control requires a young body or at least a physically fit one.  Now a tourist attraction, the Space Center has added an elevator, in theory reserved for serious cripples like me, although a few very large people join me in the lift.  Everything is bigger in Texas.


 Our next tram stop – Astronaut Training Facility.  NASA trains people in all aspects of space activity here, from piloting spacecraft to spacewalking to basic survival skills.  The astronauts work with the full gamut of space stuff from an old Soyuz capsule to the very latest in technology.  In simulated microgravity, people practice maneuvering large objects with robotic arms.  Gigantic things move easily in space, but don’t stop easily.  Damn Newton and his laws![2]

We reboard the tram for our last tour stop – the Saturn V Rocket.  The Saturn V, NASA’s workhorse, sent the astronauts to the moon.  Does anything else make a more grandiose statement purporting humanity’s power and hubris?  Here lies harnessed the ability to leave the earth, the home to which we have been bound from time immemorial.   I am awed.  With this rocket, we became gods, not particularly successful gods as we remained tethered to the earth by our body’s requirements, but temporary gods nonetheless.


 To escape earth’s atmosphere, Saturn V’s first two stages have five massive engines each.  Once reaching escape velocity by consuming the first two stages, the third stage retains one engine for guidance.  Longer than a football field (US football – 100 yards), the restored rocket has its own pole barn building.  We cruise around it, snapping lots of photos.

My parents, before a Saturn V rocket incinerated them - Bloodroot
We return to the main center.  Prominently displayed we find the old Star Trek shuttle craft.  What?!  Perhaps apocryphally reported to have been dumped in Paramont’s parking lot, some wealthy fans bought the badly battered prop, restored it and donated it to the Space Center.  Intrigued, we take more photos.  Paul poses in front of the shuttle.  Ok, I’ll admit it; Star Trek’s coolness factor far exceeds anything real.


Real stuff
Star Trek
Although currently working as one of the thirteen countries jointly operating the International Space Station (ISS), NASA plans to go to Mars in 2035.  I plan to be dead by then.  How odd that the most exciting thing of your youth outlives you to inspire the next generation.  Gearing up for the Mars flight, we’ve encountered some technical hurdles. People living in the low gravity of space lose 1.5% of their bone mass monthly, their spines expanding and hearts shrinking.  (In contrast, post-menopausal women lose 1.5% of their bone mass annually.)  The current antidote is lots of vitamin D coupled with massive resistance training.  Will we someday evolve into a race that lives only in space? 

Upon leaving, we discover that we've missed the moon rocks and the Apollo capsule.  Keith makes me promise not to tell the goat, as he’ll make us drive back.  I don’t tell.  Pearl takes us into Louisiana, our secret destination all along.





[1] Apollo didn’t have PCs.  Intel invented the microprocessor in 1975; PCs soon followed. For my serious nerd friends, you can build your own personal Apollo Guidance Computer in your basement.  Here’s the link: Build your own apollo guidance computer

[2] Law of Inertia:  An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an external force. An object in motion continues in motion at the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an external force.


No comments:

Post a Comment